It’s easy to get overwhelmed with figuring out how to avoid ALL the things that may cause exposure to toxic chemicals. So, my advise is to always start small and ask yourself this question, “What is the easiest thing I can do that will make the most impact?”
Of course there is no “wrong” action to start with on your journey to living more natural, however, there is one thing I believe to be extremely important that all of us can/should do to create a non-toxic home and that is to STOP USING SYNTHETIC FRAGRANCES for air freshening, perfume, in make-up, or in other personal products.
Synthetic fragrances are more likely than not to include Phthalates, which are known Endocrine Disrupters, that are used in hundreds of products including perfume, hair spray, deodorant, almost anything fragranced (from shampoo to air fresheners to laundry detergent), nail polish, insect repellent, carpeting, vinyl flooring, the coating on wires and cables, shower curtains, raincoats, plastic toys, etc. The phthalate commonly used in fragrance products is diethyl phthalate, or DEP.
Your skin is your largest organ and every time you spray yourself with perfume, use synthetic air fresheners and candles, or other products with synthetic fragrances, they go directly into your blood stream. Synthetic fragrances are linked to hormone disruption, reproductive problems, and even Cancer. You can create a non-toxic home by choosing to use fragrance free, non-toxic makeup and by freshening your home naturally.
Synthetic air fresheners are a huge source of indoor air pollution and they give off chemicals that are considered just as dangerous as second-hand smoke. You can significantly reduce exposure to indoor air pollution by eliminating artificial air fresheners in your home.
SLN’s Take Home Message
I think we can all agree that freshening our living space is very important especially if we share this space with family members and guests. But, synthetic air fresheners are made from yucky chemicals including petrochemicals and other
solvents that contain carcinogenic (cancer causing) ingredients.
Swapping out perfumes and makeup made with synthetic fragrance with non toxic alternatives is a great way to significantly reduce your exposure to toxic chemicals. Trust me, it’s not worth it to pollute your body for the sake of smelling good especially when there are other non-toxic, natural body scents available.
- Avoid toxic perfumes and fragrances in personal products and choose natural body scents that are scented from natural, plant-derived ingredients. Essential Oils are also a great alternative to synthetic perfumes.
- Use Essential Oils to “freshen” the air. You can use EO’s in a spray mixed with water or diffuse them in a diffuser for a longer lasting scent. Lemon works great!
- Buy natural air fresheners that do not contain Phthalates, PEG-40, or 1,4-dichlorobenzene (1,4-DCB). Do not use aerosol spray bottles that use propellants, such as butane and propane.
- Use 100% Beeswax Candles that are all-natural and actually clean the air!
- Choose non-toxic makeup that do not contain synthetic fragrance.