The number of Vegan makeup brands are increasing and are readily available to purchase at big stores like Sephora and Macy's. If you're like me, you really want to know why products with labels such as Vegan are actually better/safer. So, I decided to research why vegan makeup brands are truly better than traditional makeup.
For those that don't know, "Vegan" refers to a food, clothing or beauty product that does not contain any animal products. "Vegan-friendly" means that some, if not most, ingredients are Vegan.
The main difference between Vegan and traditional makeup is the use of animal by-products, which are never used in Vegan cosmetics. And it turns out, just by not using animal ingredients, Vegan products are actually better for your skin especially if you're someone with sensitive or condition-prone skin.
Vegan products are often gentler and safer not only because of a lack of animal by-products but also because they don't include toxic chemicals such as parabens and heavy metals. Animal ingredients can be harsh and clog pores, so vegan products can be a soothing alternative. Your skin is your largest organ and functions better with nutrients found in vegan ingredients so choosing natural face products with vegan ingredients is a great way to protect skin.
Here Are 7 Benefits of Vegan Skin Care:
- Fewer Ingredients - Vegan cosmetics are known for having fewer ingredients than non-vegan cosmetics reducing exposure to more chemicals.
- Healthier Ingredients - Many vegan products contain high vitamin, plant-based ingredients. These natural ingredients are easy for skin to absorb so skin will be more hydrated. Perfect for aging skin!
- Great for Sensitive Skin - Those with sensitive skin benefit the most from switching to vegan skin care. With fewer ingredients vegan products prevent skin from becoming irritated. Rashes and other skin irritations may calm down and pores will stay unclogged.
- Avoid Negative Skin Conditions - Choosing vegan beauty products helps skin avoid the negative effects of animal by-products including things like uric acid extracted from cows, dead insect extracts, lanolin and beeswax. Lanolin is an animal by-product that dermatologists confirm can clog pores, causing acne.
- Avoid Testing on Animals - Vegan beauty products that are ALSO cruelty free, are never tested on animals. However, not all Vegan companies are cruelty-free.
- Better for the Environment - Most Vegan cosmetics come with packaging made from recycled materials since many Vegan brands are concerned about the environment. Also, animal farming contributes significantly to climate change so switching to vegan skin care is better for the planet.
- Saves Animal Lives - Vegan cosmetics prevent the unnecessary harm and death of animals.
Here are some of our favorite natural face products that are Vegan!